Thursday, March 27, 2008

Jenifer Fox...

Sorry it has taken a while to update my blog. School has been crazy, trying to finish the nine weeks and getting grades in. I am excited about having a week off to recharge my batteries.

It was great meeting Jennifer Fox last Thursday night at her book signing in Orlando. Her presentation was AWESOME! A couple of things have stuck with me over the last week and I even began talking with my students about the ideas in class today.

First, what is a strength? Most students get this, it's something that you do well. But more than that, it is something that makes you feel STRONG and gets you excited! Secondly, I asked them what is the opposite of a strength, most of the students said weakness. I said not necessarily, and asked one of my students how he felt when he did something he was not good at. He said he felt like crap. That's the key, the opposite of a strength is DEPLETION.

The key to living a strong life is doing the things that excite you and staying away from the activities that deplete you. That's how you will find true fullfillment in your work.

Jenifer also made a statement that I firmly believe will change the lives of students. She said, "Your strengths are what make you EXCEPTIONAL." As a teacher I know how true that statement is. I get excited about the thought of spending the last nine weeks helping students to find their strengths and helping them to experience success and strive to be exceptional on a daily basis.

I would love to read your thoughts.

Do you agree with Jenifer's statement, "Your strengths are what make you exceptional."
Also, what are your strengths and what depletes you and how are you currently staying on your strengths path.

More to come. I am off to Los Angeles next week for StrengthsFinder training. I can hardly contain my excitement!!!

No comments: